Friday, August 2, 2019

Raspberry Pi 4 and Luks Encrypted Disks

I recently got a Raspberry Pi 4, which is USB-C compatible. I have a 1TB external drive, which was encrypted on a Mint 19 system (which is sadly no longer mine). "Cool! I can use it with my new Pi!"

First, I am asked for my passphrase, then:

Error: pcmanfm bd_crypto_luks_open_blob called but not implemented

Hmm...

I installed Disk-Manager, thinking that was the issue, but nope. This is an encrypt/decrypt problem. I found my first clue here.
Below error appears in Lubuntu 18.04 LTS

bd_crypto_luks_open_blob called, but not implemented

when opening Luks Encrypted volume using PCManFM, the Lubuntu File Manager.

To overcome this error, open a terminal window and enter the commands below:

$ sudo apt install libblockdev-crypto2 <enter>
$ systemctl restart udisks2.service <enter>


Ok. Restart the disk, enter the passphrase  and...

Error: Luks Encrypted error storing passphrase in keyring (the name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any service files)

So, then I found this semi-related post...
I can confirm that sudo apt install gnome-keyring solves the problem on KDE. Looks like the problem is with node-keytar.

Now I was able to decrypt the disk and access it. However, I do not have permissions for the contents. I don't want to make any real changes to the drive, so I decided to open in a GUI file manager with elevated privileges.

sudo pcmanfm

This is not ideal, but slightly more convenient to traverse the drive.

No comments: